Thursday, September 22, 2011

The week of busyness

This week has been crazy for both of us! We just didn't seem to spend that much time in the apartment.

Monday: I had a test, which meant studying in the morning and then going up to the university so that Colin's adviser, Chris, could proctor my exam for me. Luckily it only took 15 minutes and I got a good grade. Colin had Chris' class that he's TAing for. This felt like the least busy day this week. That night I got an email about a last minute interview from a friend, so I had that to look forward to the next day at noon.

Tuesday: Colin had his first tutoring session and I had to prepare during the morning for an interview up at the university in the linguistics department. Emailing resumes, getting there on time without asthma attacks to make all the makeup and getting well-dressed worth it, arranging schedules for after interview... Finally, I got up to the interview which went very well. I was offered a full-time position on a two month trial basis with the option of extending it after that. Olga is an interesting person - very intense. She's always got a hundred and one things going through her mind and her to do list would put many listers to shame. She expects good work done independently and in good time. Granted, she said this from the perspective of the people that work for her now.... so she expects it in a reasonable amount of time. After my interview, I met up with Colin for a few minutes before his tutoring group, which also went very well. It was a little unexpected, but he was pleased with his group of students.

Wednesday: I had to get up early to go to immigration to get my Hong Kong ID (a city ID card can get you so many benefits). They open at 7:45, so I was there at 7:30. After waiting in line for an hour so that the building could have a fire drill, it took 2 minutes to get the card. By the time I got home, Colin was ready to head to the university, so up the hill we went. He printed my resume off for me and went to class while I started the employment process of trying to get a work visa via university sponsorship. Brand new HKID in hand along with my resume and passport, we started working it out with the department of humanities. Not long after all of that was finished, Colin made it out of class and we ate a quick lunch before the next two classes that we're both auditing/sitting in on. That's a 1pm-5pm venture, followed by coffee for an hour of more, so we didn't make it home until 7:30 at which point my not-quite-yet employer had already put a journal article in my inbox for proofreading, which I put 3 hours in on.

Thursday: I had a skype session with my professor back at NCSU from 8 to 8:30 and then put another three hours into the journal article before Colin and I had lunch with our friend Donald. Luckily, we met him at the Thai restaurant at the bottom of our building, so I could work all morning. After a quick lunch, I left the boys to talking while I completed another journal related assignment. In the afternoon, I started feeling ill, so Colin went to this week's lecture alone.

Friday: It's Friday morning and I can only imagine what Olga might have for me today. She said she would probably send me a more complete draft today to be proofread one more time. Colin's starting to feel what I felt last night and has a tutoring session today from 4- 5:30 and it's date night. It might be a good time to actually do some grocery shopping for this week so that we have food for the weekend. We spent all week up at the university eating at Oliver's Super Sandwiches, which is a lovely change, but doesn't need to become a habit.

How busy has your week been?

No comments:

Post a Comment