Saturday, November 12, 2011

Hong Kong Cools Off...Kinda'

Hey, yo! What's up?

So Hong Kong entered into a bit of a rainy season this week (by "season" I mean two or three days) and, prepare for a shocker, actually cooled off a bit! Mind you, mid to high sixties in the morning and high seventies by noon is still entirely too warm for November, but it's a major improvement over the high seventies mid eighties weather we've been stuck with for the past, oh, three months. Yeah, it's a nice break.

One of the best parts is that this spring time weather means that there are fewer people out and about in the morning, as the locals break out their arctic coats to brave this frigid winter. Sorry, but I cannot help but be amused by the fact that shorts, T-shirt, and sandals weather for me is once again heavily-bundled weather for almost everyone else. Sure, I might look like a nut-job due to my stand-out-ness, but what do I care? The weather is finally sufficiently cool enough that I can wear clothes and not feel like I'm melting (and that's just when I'm standing around!).

Unfortunately, the weather isn't expected to last much longer. Come next week we should be back up to the seventies and eighties again, which means I won't be able to sleep under a blanket at night. Oh well, you enjoy these things as they make themselves available to you, and such pleasures are fleeting.

Speaking of fleeting pleasures, we have a new restaurant review for you folks. There's a little place near HKU that specializes in northwestern Chinese style food called "Ba Yi" (the restaurant, not the style). I first read about the place last year and noticed it had lots of great reviews. Apparently it's famous among the low to mid range restaurants and is frequently packed, requiring reservations on most nights during the prime dining hours. Fortunately, 9:00 PM on a Thursday is never really prime dining time, so after an enjoyable department seminar and several pints of beer a few of us sat down to give the famous food a shot.

Apparently, the staples of this food region are not the chicken and pork that we've become accustomed to (and sick of) over the past few months. Instead, sheep are a preferred protein source, and we enjoyed a nice pile of lamb dumplings and what was essentially mutton hash (we had hoped for the mutton skewers, but they were sold out). We also got to try another meat staple: camel. It was served in a manner similar to the mutton, ground up and spaced with a few diced vegetables interspersed. The hash was served to be rolled into the Chinese pancake (which is somewhat like a rice tortilla for those unfamiliar with the concept), and it made for an interesting and filling meal. Spicy and meaty, it wasn't half bad in terms of flavor.

Unfortunately, the meals are marred by a lack of vegetables and an over reliance on greasy sauces. Vegetables really are just used for flavoring and garnish in most Chinese dishes it seems, so it's not really a surprise that there were so few included. The overuse of oil also should not have come as a surprise but, based on all of the positive things I'd read about Ba Yi, I was surprised that they seemed to pour so much in that it left me with a stomachache with which I'm still coping. It's getting better, but I don't think I'll be dining at Ba Yi again anytime soon if ever.

Still, I don't want to discourage people from trying Ba Yi. It's not for me because I like lighter, healthier fare, but there are plenty of folks out there who enjoy rich, hearty meals. If you like spice, love lamb, and want to give camel a shot, then Ba Yi is definitely worthwhile. Plus they give you steins for your beer. How cool is that?

Other than that it's just been another busy week for us. Carina has started researching articles for her boss's projects...I'm helping. I really haven't had much to do myself aside from try to get things organized. Still nothing back on my thesis yet, and I'm pretty sure no one has even started working on a letter of recommendation for me. I'm sure it'll get done, but it's hard not to worry. I guess it's not so bad, though.

Well, I guess that's a wrap for now. Come by next week for more updates!

Viva la camel,

Colin

No comments:

Post a Comment