Friday, February 10, 2012

Try the Tuna

Don't ask. It's an inside joke. You know what's not an inside joke, though? My thesis.

I finally received the final round of edit suggestions from my supervisor on Wednesday and I've been pedal to the metal, nose to the grindstone, cheese to the pizza about getting it done ever since. I actually finished my first round of edits on Thursday, after which I sent a copy to Carina for her thoughts on how well I've patched things up. So far she seems impressed. That's saying something, as she has probably been the harshest critic of my writing since, oh, day one. By the way, that's day one of knowing me, not day one of this thesis.

Seriously though, I love her and I really appreciate her helping me with this. If her boss doesn't acknowledge her for all the work she puts into her job as a research assistant, then she can at least count on getting a major mention in my acknowledgement section. Thanks, hon.

Other than that things haven't been too busy and, frankly, that's a good feeling. We went out Wednesday night with some friends to a nice Thai restaurant over in Wan Chai. The place is called Koh Thai and, although fairly expensive, it was definitely a fantastic meal. Decent drinks, excellent food, and some of the tastiest coconut sorbet I've ever had. If, for some bizarre reason, you ever end up over in Hong Kong and have some cash to blow (and you can tolerate some spice), give it a shot...just make sure you book your table in advance!

What else is new? Eh, not too much. I think Carina has been able to take it easy with regard to her work as of late. She hasn't even asked for me to help out with anything which is, frankly, something I enjoy doing. I like working with Carina. Even when I get frustrated, I still prefer working with her to pretty much anyone else. Although we may not always understand one another, there's a connection that we have developed over the past decade that lets us function really well as a team. I'm not sure she'd agree with me on that, but I really do feel that way. That's why I trust her with my work as much as my actual advisors...at least with regard to the quality of writing and argumentation.

I didn't mean for this to turn into a "Carina is Awesome" piece, but that is a fact.

I guess the only other news is (and I hope I'm not jinxing this) that I might have a book deal in the works. Mind you, it wouldn't be a book deal for me or any of the work I've currently completed, but it would be relevant to the kind of work I do. I won't go into too much detail, but I can say that if I am allowed to join this project I gain the ability to strike a serious blow for the kind of interdisciplinary work that I've been advocating for a long time now. Specifically, I'd get to carry over my work about the connection between language and ethics, possibly with further implications for moral psychology. I don't know how much free reign I would be given for my section, but I'm hopeful that it would be enough to bring in some good content.

Also, I'd be co-author on a book. How cool is that!?

All right, I think that about sums it up for now. We've been trying to watch Star Wars, Episode I for almost three hours now. Maybe it finally finished buffering. Ah, a nice and relaxing Saturday...

Ya'll come back now, hear?

Colin

No comments:

Post a Comment