Thursday, January 13, 2011

Academics

It's been nice to participate in a few academic ventures this week.

On Tuesday, Colin and I attended a lecture on modernity, ethnocentrism and intimacy hosted by the sociology department. The lecturer was visiting from York to check up on one of her field teams, who was interviewing the Hong Kong participants of her study (while her home team did the UK half of the study). It sounded like an interesting study, but the lecturer spent the majority of the time talking about the current discussion of modernity.

Ahhh, semantics... it gets us all in the end.

Today, I got to really meet Chris, Colin's adviser. It went better than I originally expected. I tend to put my foot in my mouth, academically, at the worst possible moments, but our conversation today was quite nice. Chris was warm and social, though still demonstrating a wide knowledge of his field. This may have been a bit put on, but this is the way of academia. He has a good sense of humor and is well tempered in his communications. I think he is a good adviser for Colin. We spent part of the time talking about the city and his fiance. He mentioned that there was a cheap skating rink in Kowloon that I hope to visit. At any rate, the visit was good and I hope to have more like it.

I originally intended to write much more on these topics, but it is getting to bedtime here and we're both sleepy. I'll do my best to extend my discussions at a later time.

Goodnight!

1 comment: